Friday, October 11, 2013

Interview with Author Nicole Dunlap


Bee L. Kirk
When did you know writing was your passion?

Nicole Dunlap
I was real young and in my mom’s busted-up car with no radio. I couldn’t sing so I started telling stories to pass time as my my mom drove from Long Beach to do the “kiddy exchange” with my father who lived in San Bernardino.

Bee L. Kirk
Do you write full time?

Nicole
I wish. I am full time employed as a social services representative, but I hope to one day write full time when I retire.
Bee L. Kirk
How many books have you published?

Nicole
I have three books published in a family saga, Miss Nobody, Miss Scandalous, and Miss perfect, with one book that I need to finish to round off the list.

Bee
What advice do you have for new authors?

Nicole
Develop a thick skin. Not all stories are for all people. You will get a review from a reader who thinks the story should have gone left when it went right. Read every review, take some of your fans advice, oftentimes it is useful. That is the beauty of readers, they can pull out themes and morals to a story that you don’t even know you’ve weaved together. I was so proud of my work during a book club meeting I was invited too. Yes, that is the upside of connecting, fans, and reviews.

Bee
Do you have any events coming up?

Nicole
Yes, Miss Perfect will be free on 10/10 to 10/11 on Kindle.

Bee
Do you think we will ever have a female president?

Nicole
Soon and very soon, time is on our (women’s) side.

Bee
What kind of music do you listen to?

Nicole
Oh, my “I Heart Radio” can get a little mellow, a lil’ romantic, and all that. Coldplay, Emile Sande, King of Leon, Alicia Keys, Maxwell, Drake, and when I’m feeling like taking it back to the 90s SWV, Tony Tone Toni. Kirk Franklin and Mary Mary will inspire me any day. That’s all I can think of right now.

Bee
Will Smith or Pres. Barack Obama? Why?

Nicole
These are hard questions. Both. I am like that. Take me to Bobby Flay’s restaurant and I can’t chose so I won’t chose right now. I love Will Smith when it comes to the aspect of movies. I love the ambition (and the marital love) of Barack!

Bee
How old are you?

Nicole
Twenty somethin’. Closer to the middle *wink wink. No, really 27 and I had to count. See, these are some hard questions. Hehehe.

Bee
Steak or Hamburger? Why?

Nicole
Prime Rib, baby! It’s all about the select and choice piece of meat that melts in your mouth and momentarily makes you forget all sanity.

Bee
Movies at home or at the theatre? Why?

Nicole
Both. Pixar, Disney, and other high quality cartoons must be seen at the movie theater. Action films, suspense, Bruce Willis, Will Smith, Kiera Knightley (and all of her historical films) must be seen on the big screen. I try to keep up an appearance about a few times a month and the drive-in theater keeps me sane as I recall that I have HBO, a full DVR and all that good stuff.

Bee
If you weren't a writer, what would you be doing?

Nicole
I wanted to be an archeologist, though my fear of all furry rodents, dirt, digging, etc have gotten the best of me. I still love rocks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/nicoleydunlap Website: http://t.co/HQENvUIP1m Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F1H2OHO

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, how do you heal from Trauma?

      Just Breathe Trauma sounds like a word used to describe someone who's been physically hurt, like a "car accident or a shootin...