Saturday, November 9, 2013

What are you getting your kids for Christmas?




I love this time of the year, it always provokes fond memories of my childhood and adulthood. The stores are bustling with the anticipating giver, the making of dinner menus, and the sense of well being to all mankind. I always think, what will I get the kids this year, what will make their little eyes glow with glee?

PS3, laptop, tickets to a concert, a big wheel? Here’s another thought I had, what would it be like to give them something that money can’t buy? How would it affect their lives if I give them something that made their soul tingle with glee? Would an act of kindness make their life more fulfilling than a iPod?

I have been blessed. I don’t make excuses for it anymore, I don’t try to reason or question it away. I accept it and with that I feel an obligation to those who aren’t as blessed as I am. I have a roof over my head. I have food in the refrigerator. I have clothes to put on my back. I have running water, both hot and cold. Simple stuff, huh? Yes.

Are these things we take for granted sometimes, absolutely!
So how do we change that? How can we give life lessons to our children while giving back to those who are living the life lesson?
I’m glad you asked, I have a few suggestions.


The above links are to Dallas area volunteer centers for the homeless. I encourage you to look up the local homeless shelters in your area on
Google. It took me about 2 minutes to look up the ones listed above.
Some require you to answer a few questions but it’s not rocket science. It’s quite simple when you think about the opportunity you’re going to have. You will be directly responsible for touching someones life. Now that...is something that you can’t buy at the mall or Uptown Village.

What gift are you getting your kids for Christmas?
Or what gift are you Giving your kids for Christmas?

Just a Thought…

Bee L. Kirk, Author of City of the Guardians.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review for Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Austin Parmer/Tech Ridge.

 On  February  12th through the 15th, my son Jaxon & I stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott in Austin , Texas which is located about 20 m...