Saturday, February 1, 2014

***Author Interview*** John Hampton

John Hampton is an avid reader and Author who hails from Coff's Harbour, New South Wales. He was born March 4, 1948 and continues to evolve. He has a very easy and welcoming disposition with a wicked sense of humor. Please enjoy our conversation below.



Bee: Thank you for giving me a moment of your time John, let's start out with something easy. What's your favorite time of the day?


John: Night time.

Bee: Mine too, it's quieter and I can think more clearly.
What are your Top 3 Do-Overs?

John: My first and second novels – Simple Things – Just Another Day – and me. Boy-o-boy, do I need a do-over!


Bee: (Laughing) I think everyone feels like that way sometimes.
What are the titles of your books?

John:  Simple Things, Just Another Day, Saturday’s and Iced Vo-Vo’s, Aggravation & Henry Talbots Book of Yesterdays. I also have two works in progress; Here Be Demons & The Bird Bath.


Bee: So you have five published books with two in the works...busy, busy! Good for you.
Do you have a full-time job other than being a writer?

John: Retired

Bee: Where are you from?

John: My mother's womb! Sorry, couldn’t resist that. Born in Paddington and lived in Stanmore until 1957. Then I moved to Mays Hill just west of Parramatta, where I lived with my parents, brother and sister. In 1978 I moved to Blackheath, a small town atop the Blue Mountains, with my new bride Gail. Ten years on we moved to Coffs Harbour where we still reside. All towns mentioned are in the state of New South Wales.


Bee: Is there a message you hope to convey through your writing?

John: Message? No. I write because I have a passion for what I know. I simply extrapolate and fictionalise, and hope those who read my books will enjoy.

Bee: I believe having a passion for what you do is very important. Passion allows the real you to be exposed. Any advice for new authors?


John: So you want to write, eh? But you don’t know what to write about, don’t know where to start. No problem. Grab a pen and pad, sit down, and jot down whatever it is that pops into your head no matter how banal it might seem. And when finished I guarantee there will be a word/words, sentence or paragraph that will fire up your imagination, then go for it. And don’t tell me you can’t do it because you can if you are prepared to give it a go. No excuses. No 'poor little me, I’m dumb, stupid,' and so on. Just make a decision to do it and you will do it.

Bee: Just do it, I agree 100%. If you don't just do it, you will forever question yourself. Which one of your books was the hardest to write? If any.

John:  Simple Things. So hard in fact that, since writing it five years ago I still don’t know which way to take it.

Bee: Favorite ice cream?

John: Full cream, of course – vanilla or chocolate, but I really have a penchant for Boysenberry ripple.


Bee: I've never heard of that one before but it sounds interesting. Do you have a favorite book?

John: Gee, that’s a tough one. My favourite author is Stephen King, so by virtue I’d have to say it’s a toss up between Pet Semetery, IT, and 11.22.63. And to top off my bundle of five I would include Catch 22 and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Bee: Tell me about your last book. Title, synopsis, favorite review received, where the idea came from, and why the reader should buy it.

John: Saturday’s and Iced Vo Vo’s. William (Bill to most, Mister Bill, to one) Williams – aged sixty-two and living alone, develops a close relationship with four younger people - new neighbours – a lesbian couple and single mother and her mentally handicapped son, and he knows what remains of his life will never be the same again. No reviews. Not sure where the idea came from. A comment in passing, a TV commercial, me as an older man eating the biscuits, I really don’t know. Buy because it’s a down-to-earth true to life, sometimes heart rendering, thought provoking, at times witty and funny, but most of all it’s ratable to so many.

Bee: What would you tell your 'younger self'?

John: Wake up to yourself. Get rid of the big chip on your shoulder. The world owes you nothing, not even a living. So pull your finger out and make something of yourself while you can. Whatever that may be even if it’s not what you want to begin with. Keep on trying because sooner or later every dog has its day, and who knows, yours may come quicker than you realise. But if it doesn’t, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And what do you have to lose?

Bee: Lady Gaga or Beyonce?



John: Neither

Bee: Phil Collins or Kenny G?

John: Neither

Bee: Steak or Hamburger?

John: Give me a medium done T-bone any day over a hamburger.

Bee: If you won a million dollars, what would be the first thing you'd buy?

John: I would buy what I’ve always wanted since I was a kid. A big, big backyard (a thousand acres would do nicely) where I can isolate myself from all of life’s teeming aggravations on a permanent basis. Heaven!

Bee: Do you think there will be a female US President in the near future?

John: Absolutely. Hilary Clinton, perhaps.

Bee: Miley Cyrus...Ratchet or Smart?

John: Obnoxious.

Bee: Favorite quote?

John: The drowning man is not bothered by rain.

Once again, I would like to thank you John for letting the world and I get to know you a little better. All my best,

Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, how do you heal from Trauma?

      Just Breathe Trauma sounds like a word used to describe someone who's been physically hurt, like a "car accident or a shootin...